Last year The Nielsen Company estimated that 39.3 million people watched the Oscars.
In addition to the continual ads promoting the show, the network used their famous Wednesday night line up including The Middle, The Neighbors, Modern Family, and Suburgatory. Each sitcom promoted the highly anticipated show having the characters and story line completely surrounding the Oscars…talk about killing two birds with one stone!
So why all the hype? Why do millions of people around the world tune in?
Simply stated it is because of the fantasy!
It is the one night we can all tune in and watch the glitz and glamour while feeling a part of it all. We take the night off from our own lives and connect with Hollywood’s current elite. We comment on what they are wearing, how they present themselves, and applaud in agreement or let out a “ugh” in appalling disagreement with the winners of each category. It is the one night we get to be “in” Hollywood too.
To prepare for this big night, many gather and put on their own Oscar party including ballots for their guest to cast their votes. Some parties are casual while others go all out including a red carpet and black tie attire.
So, whether you are watching in your pajamas, gown, or tux here are your 2013 nominees.
- Best Picture
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Django Unchained
- Les Misérables
- Life of Pi
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Actor in a Leading Role
- Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook
- Daniel Day-Lewis Lincoln
- Hugh Jackman – Les Misérables
- Joaquin Phoenix – The Master
- Denzel Washington – Flight
- Actress in a Leading Role
- Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
- Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
- Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
- Quvenzhané Wallis – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Naomi Watts – The Impossible
- Actor in a Supporting Role
- Alan Arkin – Argo
- Robert De Niro – Silver Linings Playbook
- Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
- Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
- Christoph Waltz Django – Unchained
- Actress in a Supporting Role
- Amy Adams – The Master
- Sally Field – Lincoln
- Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables
- Helen Hunt – The Sessions
- Jacki Weaver – Silver Linings Playbook
Read more posts by Bree Maresca-Kramer, M.A., nationally recognized relationship expert, acclaimed relationship & life coach, talk radio show host, relationship expert & pop culture analyst columnist.